Thursday, January 31, 2008

Big ol' honking Factor VIII

I had a very spacey day in school. Somehow, feels like Add Maths took up most of the time, but it felt OK to me, because Integrals feels like a good chapter for me. I can understand it anyway.

Yesterday at school was a lot different. I was ... incredibly hyper. Especially in Bio. Pn. Nitce was talking about blood clotting and Factor VIII, and Evelyn and I kept saying, "What's Factor VIII? I don't get it. Teacher, what's Factor VIII? It's a substance? What substance. Where does it come from? Why doesn't it have a name? D:"

Then Laksh bellowed, "Will everyone stop asking about Factor VIII and leave it alone?!!"

And Shumi said that Factor VIII is the thing that tells the platelets to release thrombokinase. Which in turn turns the prothrombin into thrombin and voila! Clotting. It made a lot more sense after that.

And as always, anything to do with blood had me singing the Blood song at the end of the MCR album. Iffah asked me to sing the whole thing, but Pn. Nitce started explaining stuff, so I had to stop. :p

Then Alysha somehow managed to smuggle away my Twilight book from Laksh. And started reading it in the lab. Thus begun a very sugar-induced discussion about vampires, their lack of blood and how can they cover up injuries if all they've got is a truckload of venom floating around inside themselves? No red blood cells. No platelets. NO FACTOR VIII.

And again about how it must be pretty uncomfortable to NOT hear a heart beating away inside Mr. SparklePants (Edward)'s marble chest.

Iffah read the Sparkly bit in the book and decided that Edward is sweet and romantic. Oh, Iffah. I knew you would not resist his sparkly charms. :(

Sara-who-thinks-being-a-Bio-student-is-fuuuuun

No comments: