Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Does the walker choose the path, or the path choose the walker?

Since that SPM is over, I've started on the delightfully huge pile of books that I bought at the MPH warehouse sale two months ago. I couldn't read them then, what with exams and all, so it was really nice to get cracking. I've forgotten how much I love immersing myself in books that aren't trying to remind me that SPM wants to suck my brains out.

The first book I started on was Sabriel by Garth Nix. It was published in 1995, people. I can't believe that it eluded me for so long. I love love love this series. Trilogy, really. The first book is definitely my favourite, even though I wasn't too fond of how Nix left the ending.

Basically, the story is set in a fictional realm where there is basic technology (sort of circa 1900s, I think) and magic. The Old Kingdom would be the place where magic is strongest, because of the presence of Charter Stones. There are three bloodlines that are most powerful, descendants of the original Charters. They are the Clayr, Abhorsens and the Royal bloodline. The Clayr are a huge group of women, all related, who can see the future. Abhorsens are entasked with making sure the Dead remain dead, if you know what I mean. The Royals are ... well, the reigning Kings and Queens.

In the first book, we meet Sabriel, who is a schoolgirl in Ancelstierre, the country south of the Old Kingdom. Her father is the Abhorsen. One day, she recieves her father's bells (tools with which they use to battle the Dead) and his sword. She concludes that her father is trapped within Death (which has nine precincts, but you'll have to read through the series to understand that better) so she sets out to save him. The Old Kingdom at the moment is without any ruler, King Queen or regent because of a tragedy that occured more than 200 years ago.

SPOILERS from this point on, btw.

Later on, Sabriel reaches her father's house which is pretty much the house of every Abhorsen that has ever lived. She meets Mogget, a small white cat who is a bound servant to the Abhorsen. He isn't really a cat, but after a millenia of being in that form, he's pretty much as cattish as they come. Taking off his collar is a really bad idea, unless you're suicidal. Anyway, they end up in a place called Holehallow at some point where they find a wooden statue of a young man. Sabriel finds something amiss, and thinks that the statue may be someone trapped within Death. She sets him free, and now we have Touchstone (we don't find out his real name till the last book) who was there when the last Queen was murdered by her eldest son, who is now one of the Greater Dead (i.e. bad guy villain man).

Name me a really good main character in fantasy or sci-fi who is female. My favourite right now is Sabriel. Can't help it. Love her guts. And it's difficult for me to like female characters, because most of the time they come across as whiny little ... well, you know. So this was a nice change. Mogget, however, is one of my favourites. He's so cute. I just wanna pick him up and cuddle him till he complains his tail off. And Touchstone's just the sweetest guy. Scary when he loses his cool and goes into berserker/rampage/incredible hulk mode, but he only does that once in the entire book, so it just made it awesome.

If you're looking for a fantasy series with a difference, pick it up. Then tell me about it, because as always, I'm the only one who's gushing about them. ;) It's going to be a movie in a few years, if all goes well. Garth Nix is co-writing, so even though I'm worried, I've got faith in the guy.

In other news, I'm going to Maran, Pahang for NS. My parents wanted me to go to Beranang, where my uncle is, but it's too much hassle so Maran it is. I get to go with Nahjan, Hamizah and Amira (y'know, Pn. Sharifah's daughter), that is if they're OK with the health checks. AWESOME, in my opinion. :D

No comments: