Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Prince, whoops, King Caspian.

If you're lucky, you get to set your eyes on a sequel that doesn't suck. But it's rare to find a sequel that doesn't only 'not suck', but rocks like an avalanche.

Yeah, well I'll be the geek and say that I'm talking about Prince Caspian. Spoiler alert, peeps!

Storyline was awesome. Adapting one of the world's best classics is definitely a challenge, but they've really done it this time around. Of course, some things were twisted, others removed and some new stuff was thrown in, but they complimented this film perfectly. It's got it's fair share of action, humour and even a dash of romance.

Visual effects? Amazing. I remember years ago, when I reviewed the first movie, I complained that I could see a black outline around the Pevensies when they were standing against the sky. None of that this time around, though. I particularly liked the battle scenes, and the one with the griffins swooping around the Telmarines' castle while carrying the kings and queens.

And the soundtrack? Very awesome. I'm downloading as soon as I find the time. xD

Now, the part we've all (or just me) have been waiting for; character development. This is my favourite part of every film, book or cartoon. Prince Caspian was alright - classic hero, somewhat confused but manages to pull things off very well. Not the fanciest of characters, but likable enough. Added to the fact that he's not bad on the eyes.

They changed a lot of Peter's character for this movie, and while many people seem to dislike it (I visited IMDb before hopping over here) I think it was a good take on him; very realistic, and I could connect with him, compared to LionWitchWardrobe!Peter. He had a lot of room to grow, and I think it ended very well for him.

Susan, ah, Susan. Firstly, she's got amazing eyes. Like, mesmerising. You could get sucked into those eyes. xD I like her here better than the first movie as well. Less bossy and more of a heroine.

And since that I am going in order and it would be, urm, wrong to do ... OK, whatever, I don't want to explain myself. xD Edmund now. He. Rocks. Can I say that again? He. Rocks. My purple-yellow striped socks. Doesn't matter that he doesn't have much screen-time. The scene with the white witch? Pure awesome. Caspian and Peter were all like: "D: Purdy lady wants blood!" And Edmund's all: "*stab* *pause* *glares at older boys* Yeah, you had it sorted. *exits stage right*" Oh, Edmund. You deserve more screen-time.

As for Lucy ... well, she's pretty much the same, now I think about it. There's not much development for her. She's still the youngest and adorable one. She's still misunderstood by the others (Peter and Susan in particular) and she still makes friends with Narnian creatures.

So, yes. I've forgotten what I wanted to say. But I can't put any other feelings in words ... but anybody who talks to me face-to-face will be recieving a huge load of jabbering, following the style of the dialogue I typed up there about the White Witch thingy. xD

No comments: